Punjab Economic Research Institute (PERI)
Punjab Economic Research Institute is the oldest economic research institution in the country. It was reorganized and renamed as Economic Research Institute. In 1980, Punjab Economic Research Institute was declared as a statutory body. In the Rules of Business of Punjab Government, the Institute in an autonomous Body, which is governed by a Board by the Chairman, P&D.
The Institute has an unbroken record of economic research and its professional capability is well both nationally and internationally. It has so far completed 342 studies and 23 research papers covering various aspects of the economy. The Institute through its research provides analytical support to the planning and policy making work of the Punjab Government. It has developed an expertise In impact evaluation of development projects / programmes and Government policy. Being autonomous in its working, the Institute is in an ideal position to provide much needed independent feedback to the Government. Moreover, it can undertake feasibility studies for the public and private sector. The Institute has also completed a number of specific assignments for the Government, i.e. formulation of Punjab"s component of Sixth Five Year Plan, Assessing the Impact of Withdrawal of Flat Rate of Electricity Tariff for allocation of Poverty Alleviation Programme funds amongst various districts using findings of PERI"s report titled "Development Profile of Districts in Punjab".
Punjab Economic Research Institute Functions
- The main functions of the Institute are may be desired or authorized by the Government
- To compile and publish results of research
- To provide information and advise regarding research techniques and methodology in economics policies
- To provide information and advise regarding research techniques and methodology in economics and related social disciplines
- To provide facilities for training in socio-economic research and demographic analysis to such persons as Government may direct.
- To extend cooperation to national and international agencies in the fields of economic research and training
- To arrange/promote seminars/conferences on various socio-economic issues.